Sunday, May 1, 2011

Product Review - Dremel 8000

    I received this from my husband for Christmas 2010. (And no, I didn't kill him, I REALLY wanted it! Badly!!) I've expanded into making filigree and metal jewelry and wanted a hand held rotary drill to make holes for cold connections. I also use it to polish and sand my metal pieces, and to shape and sand glass. I love this drill!

     Now the Dremels that you plug in may have a bit more power, but my work station "drifts" in my tiny apartment. Although I mainly use the dining room table, which is not near an outlet, there are times when I need to sit by the window for better light or at my assembly station in the next room. So portability is a must!

     It's also light weight. I was a bit concerned at first that it would be awkward to use because it seemed too big for my hands. But once I started using it, it was like it was made for me. I get a lot of control from the pencil/pen-like shape of it. It drills right though 18g brass like butter and at 20,000+ rpm it can take on heavier gauges with only slightly less speed. It's fantastic on removing burrs and polishing metal. Gives me a satin finish and I'm having a blast with it.

     The one-hour charger is definitely an advantage over the old 3-hour charge models. When I'm planning a day of drill work and the battery is lower than I'd like, I just pop the battery in the charger and have my breakfast and coffee. By the time I'm ready to start, so's my drill. Pretty cool!

     I've also bought a gang of attachments for it, above and beyond what it comes with. The nice thing is that there are plenty of Dremel attachments that don't cost a lot of money. Really important when you're on a budget!

     Oh, did I say it was a variable speed tool? That's a handy-dandy feature if there ever was one! It gives you the right speed for the job. There's no need to put pressure on it at all, which is more than I can say for hammers and pliers!

     My best advice is to read all the instructions first. A handheld rotary tool like this is not like the power drills used for heavier tasks. Get to know it and its capabilities (and limits), and I promise, you won't be disappointed!

    You can get this little honey right HERE!

Remember to leave your own review, just join us and post!
Pat K.
The Jewelry Craft Shop
http://twitter.com/#!/JewelCraftShop

No comments: